Dear 16-year-old Em




Dear 16-year-old Em,

We’ve still got a lot to learn, but here are a few things that 25-year-old me would like to say to you (*sings* but I don’t know howwwwwww)… 

Never stop laughing, you might get sent out of class for laughing at times but when you read your yearbook you’ll realise that most teachers and classmates will comment on your infectious smile and laugh more than anything else. You’ll even win the ‘Biggest Grin’ when you leave school in a few months. I wish I could tell tiny Em that her worst feature, her “big teeth” will end up being her favourite (you grow into them!). Your smile may also play a teeny tiny part in you setting up your own business (oh yeah, by the way, you set up your own business 6 years from now?!). 

Happiness is more important than any grade you could get but do keep working hard to achieve the best you can, they won’t be that important, but I know you wouldn’t have it any other way. At every stage of your education you’ll feel like you’re being held back but ohh boy do you prove them wrong, I think the doubt from others actually strengthens your determination so just keep doing you… It’s such a cliché but hard work really does pay off. Please remember to rest and have some ‘me time’ as often as you need though, spoiler alert: you need it often! Focus on the stuff you’re passionate about, keep drawing, writing and taking photos… you are going to have the BEST opportunities with all of these, but I won’t ruin the surprises.

I could warn you about all the good and bad things that are going to happen, as there will be a whole bunch, but you need to experience all of these to shape the person you are now, writing this letter, and the person you’re going to become. Surround yourself with good people… those who bring out the best in you but please know that not everybody stays in your life and although hard to comprehend, it’s sometimes necessary. You may lose a friend who you thought would be by your side forever but never forget the memories and laughs you had, please thank her for me. 

Listen to your Mum, she gets it… and you. Your family will guide you and help push you to achieve your dreams and shape you to become the strong, independent but very sensitive soul that you are. Your sensitivity will be used against you… but never ever lose it, do you hear me?! It makes you, you. You’ll be told you’re different… that’s definitely a good thing. Don’t try and fit in, but you’ll realise that for yourself. Your broken heart will be fixed, it takes a little while but it’s important you just trust me on this one. You might not realise it or be bothered right now… I know you’re not overly affectionate or always great at showing it (that changes), but you are SO loved, whenever you feel a little lost you must remember that and remind those you love as often as you can too. Stay true to yourself and hold on to that childlike sense of wonder and adventure, we could all do with a bit more of that every now and then.

Lots and lots of love from Em x

P.s. your curly hair is amazing, don’t let anyone tell you any different and keep wearing odd socks, always.




Universal asked me to write a letter to my 16-year-old self to celebrate the DVD release of Ladybird, looking at teenage relationships with family and friends and what I’d want to say to myself about growing up and finding myself in this funny old world.