Top 10 Things To Do & See In Brighton

The absolutely wonderful and magic Lucy & Yak kindly asked me to partner up with them to do a little workshop at their (pretty new - pun intended) shop in Brighton and whilst I was down, do a little round up of the top 10 things to do in Brighton from a newbies point of view. I cannot believe I've never been to Brighton, SO many people have said how much I'd love it and I really really did. I had the loveliest time, it kind of feels like a little colourful, glitter-filled bubble and the fact that the weather has been glorious made it even more wonderful. I only stayed three nights and had the event on one of the evenings, so there's definitely a million other things to do and explore but I don't think I did too bad considering it was just two days.

So, here goes... My top 10 things to do or see in Brighton...

1. LUCY & YAK SHOP (of course!)


The shop has only been open a matter of months and I'd seen it popping up all over social media so it was amazing to finally see it in real life. If you don't know about Lucy and Yak, they are a sustainable fashion retailer, mostly known for their fabulous dungarees, of which I now have manyyy pairs. I also featured them in The Happy Newspaper because on Black Friday this year they used 10% from all of their profits to send girls from deprived communities in India to school. They're basically just all round good eggs and the girls I had the pleasure of spending time with in the shop were like walking, talking, singing, dancing rainbows and I loved it. So, yeah if you're not sold already you can head to their website to check them out. 

photo: @Girlbehindthelens | 101 Gloucester Rd, Brighton BN1 4AP

2. FATTO A MANA

77 London Rd, Brighton BN1 4JF

So there seems to be more food recommendations than anything else but what would a list like this be without them?! I also got A LOT of food recommendations from the people of instagram, more food suggestions than anything else actually so I will list at the bottom all the extra places people recommended but I didn't manage to make it to.

The first night I was here, I'd had a loooong old journey from up north to London and then straight to Brighton and I didn't have too much time when I got here but enough time to try out one of the food places on my list. I decided to go for Fatto O Mana because a lot of people suggested it and you can't really go wrong with pizza ever, can you? I actually ordered my takeaway online and walked a few minutes from my AirBnb to pick it up and then I wandered about 7 minutes down the road to the front where I sat on a bench and took in the sea air, watched the sun setting behind me and listened to the seagulls and waves crashing... Literally my favourite thing to do in the world, I haven't ever been to Brighton before but there's something about being by the sea that fills my little soul with a real funny (wonderful) feeling. I just love it. So you might prefer to go to the pub or sit in a noisy restaurant but especially because I was on my own I just wanted peace and it was just what I needed. I then had a wander to the sea and then back up along the front where all the little colourful beach huts were (I was staying in hove, the quieter end I believe, so this is where I found the beach huts). Oops I went off on a bit of a tangent but the pizza was as delicious as I'd hoped, I would definitely recommend! They have a few in Brighton so I'm sure you'd be able to find a restaurant near you.




3. THE PIER

photo (left): @Girlbehindthelens

Obviously, I couldn't come to Brighton without walking down the pier and getting some candy floss (I bloody love candy floss). I had a proper explore on my first full day here with my assistant Alison and her daughter, Amy (Girl Behind The Lens) who took so many incredible photos throughout the day as I was just being silly in my different dungarees. I asked for candy floss on the stick because it's way better and also... no single use plastic (win win!). I'm not a big ride fan to be honest so I just watched the colourful rides spinning and throwing everyone about whilst stood firmly on the ground. I just love the nostalgic feel of the pier, it's proper British seaside holiday vibes from the smell of doughnuts and sea air to the stripes deck chairs and colourful signs, I love it. Definitely a good one for the old instagram!

4. THE UPSIDE DOWN HOUSE/RAINBOW FLOOR


A few people recommend this and it looked like fun, even though I didn't understand what you were supposed to do with flipping the photos upside down so it looks like you're hanging on to the ceiling/bed/light/whatever (hello grandma! paha). Anyway, it was a fiver to get in which is probably a little pricey for what it actually is but it's what the people wanted (not really, but). It was quite busy when we went to a bit of awkward waiting around to get your photo doing a handstand on the bed etc. but it was fun, not that fun if you suffer with dizziness as I do sometimes, all the floors are slanted so it threw me off quite a lot and I didn't spend very long in there (I imagine there were probably rules I was supposed to read before going in but never mind). We got some fun photos and if you don't fancy that, it's worth going just for the rainbow floor outside (that you don't have to pay to take photos on). Anything rainbow and colourful, especially by the sea, I'm sold.




4. THE FRONT/UNDER ARCHES


This little part of Brighton probably has a proper name but I call it 'the front', basically anything near the beach that isn't the pier. There were loads of cute little independent shops and cafes which I probably could've spent a whole day exploring and eating in but I had a lot to fit in so I just had a little peep in some of the shops which were full to the brim with colours and quirky little gifts/ideas, artwork and tiny trinkets which I could've definitely gone overboard on. Castor + Pollux had the most incredible selection of cards (I love a good greeting card, obviously! - see photo below) and prints. We then went to Flour Pot Bakery for lunch, a super cute bakery lots of people had recommended. I had one of their sausage rolls and broccoli something or other (I should've probably taken note) which were both delicious, as was their peach iced tea.




photos: @Girlbehindthelens

5. BIKE ALONG THE FRONT


photo (right): @Girlbehindthelens

Had I been completely on my own I probably wouldn't have given the bikes a chance but when we realised it was going to be a 20 minute walk down the front to get from one end to the other end where the beach huts were we decided to try the bikes out on the front which you can hire for as long or as little as you like, we were only going in a straight line along the designated section for bikes so there was no worry about being on the road, falling off or riding into anybody and it was so much fun, we loved it and it meant I even felt brave enough the next morning to do it on my own so I wasn't walking for ages. It gets you there quicker and the view was beautiful, what more do you want? (oh and there's a little basket on them for your bag). It was a bit of a faff to set up, for some reason it wasn't working for me for ages but we got there eventually, you basically download an app, enter your card details, set up a pin and put it into the bike and off you go. You only need to set that up once and then you're able to use it whenever you want.

6. THE LANES

 


photo (left): @Girlbehindthelens

I could've looked around 'The Lanes' all day (or for several days), I only had a few hours getting lost in all the little quirky shops and crooked streets and somehow only managed to treat myself to a pair of fabulous sunglasses and a tiny little rainbow llama keyring but I'll definitely visit again and make more time to explore The Lanes as there really is SO much to see, probably one of the best parts of Brighton in my opinion. Also, give 'Photomatic' a visit if you love a photobooth as much as me and 'Snoopers Paradise' is a must for vintage finds.


photo (right): @Girlbehindthelens

7. BOHO GELATO

photo (left): @Girlbehindthelens

This was one of the most recommended places by the people of instagram and again, I think they have a few of them around Brighton. The one we went to was only a tiny little place but after walking around for hours it was exactly what we needed. I had 'Nerdy Grape' and Passionfruit flavoured sorbet and it was super scrumptious, especially the 'Nerdy Grape' (also love that name). The next day I also went to Gelato Gusto (because if you can't have ice cream every day in Brighton, where can you?!) and I went for Raspberry Ripple and Blackberry flavoured ice cream... it was so good. They also did a lot of vegan ice cream and 10% off for any students with a valid student card for any students out there.

8. BANKERS FISH & CHIPS

116A Western Rd, Hove, Brighton BN1 2AB

After a full day of exploring and walking miles I was ready to just pass out in my accommodation to be honest so I wanted something easy and nearby, I found Bankers Fish and Chip restaurant not far from where I was staying so I went along planning to get a take away but when I got there there was nobody else sat in (I didn't realise you could sit at first), it was quiet and they had some real 90s bangers on the playlist (I can't guarantee this is a regular thing) so I decided to sit in and I'm glad I did. I had your standard cod and chips (and apple juice, my fave) and honestly I don't know if it was partly because I was knackered and hungry but it was one of the best fish and chips I've ever had, I told them of course! Compliments to the chef and all that.

9. BLACKOUT SHOP & LA CHOZA

53 Kensington Pl, Brighton BN1 4EJ

I nipped into the Blackout Shop on our day of exploring because it was just the most rainbow filled shop I've ever seen, I had a few photos taken outside and gave the lovely lady running the shop a happy newspaper to say thanks. The next day, after the Lucy & Yak event I wanted to go somewhere nearby to get some food and a few people had recommended La Choza, a Mexican food joint which I didn't realise, until the girls at Lucy and Yak told me, is a sister restaurant to the Blackout Shop so it has a similar look and feel inside, super colourful and quirky. I had the Mexican street food salad with chicken, chorizo and feta and it was really delicious, I also treated myself to a teeny cocktail (you know, to celebrate on my own) and again it was amazing and not your measly hardly any alcohol cocktails... it was strong! I felt a bit squiffy just after one to be honest. Will definitely be going back there when I come back one day.

36A Gloucester Rd, Brighton BN1 4AQ

photos: @Girlbehindthelens

10. SUGARDOUGH

18 Market St, Brighton BN1 1HH

I'd been sent a few breakfasty recommendations and I couldn't choose so I set off towards The Breakfast Club that a lot of people had recommended but I know they have a few of them in London (even though I've never been) so I thought I could probably go there whenever and when I got there it was absolutely packed and the little place next door, Sugardough only had one or two people in so I decided to go there and sit outside instead and I'm SO glad I did, it was lovely, the staff were so kind and more important the food was superb. I had a homemade croissant with jam and homemade nutty/fruit granola with yogurt and fruit with a cuppa tea (of course) and it was delicious. I would highly recommend this place.




Other places people recommended:
Wriggle app (for discounts) The Pier: Upside down house on the pier | Colourful boat shacks on the water | Photomatic photobooth | Boho Gelato (bigger shop near pier) | Vanilla fudge | Brighton Pavillion/pavilion gardens | Art place called Be Free Brighton (under arches on the beach) | The Lanes – cute shops | Breakfast: The Breakfast Club | Nowhere man – pancakes | Compass point eatery (breakfast & milkshakes) | The Tea shop (opposite colourful houses) | Choccywoccydodah (closed when I was there) | Ice cream – Boho Gelato
| Brass monkey ice creams (near Lucy and Yak) | Sugardough (amazing pastries) | Shops:
To be worn again | Snoopers paradise | Cable and cotton lights | Blackout | Dowse Design and papersmiths

Other Food:
Fatto a Mano – pizza |Giggling Squid restaurant | Chilli Pickle – Indian food | Curry leaf café – Indian food | Little fish market | Falafel | Cracked Brighton – fried egg sandwiches | Flour Pot bakery on the front | Cloud 9 café | Casa Don Carlos – tapas | 7 Bone – burgers | Grubbs burgers | Burger Brothers | The Pond pub (bao buns) | Happy Maki sush | Bagelman – rainbow bagels | La Choza – mexican food | The Salt room | What the pitta – vegan kebabs | Bankers Fish and chips (west street) | Casalingo – Italian food | The pottery café
| Purezza – vegan pizza | Pompoko – japenese food | Trading post coffee roasters – best toasties in town. Don’t eat meat: food for friends | Terre Terre | Wai Kiki Moo Kau |Lydea

Drinks: Bohemia cocktail bar (the laines) | The Gin Tub | Twisted Lemon cocktails | Prince albert pub | White Rabbit pub (alice in wonderland themed) | Mesmerist bar – drinks and dancing/live music | The Bees Mouth pub

Extras:
Jurassic globalls mini gold (uv dinosaur crazy golf) | Artists residence | Redroaster | Record shop in north laine | Komedia (comedy/stand up? | Studio iO for yoga | Float spa in hove for floatation experience or infra sauna | Club called the haunt (80s night on a sat) | Seven sisters (30 mins on bus?) | Devils Dyke | Brighton Smokehouse on seafront run by lovely old couple | Undercliff walk past marina walking back on top of the cliff dinner at the marina | Silo – zero waste restaurant | Olivers brighton (wizard shop)



Just to be transparent this trip was partly a paid partnership with Lucy & Yak and partly me staying for an extra day to explore and have my photos taken by Amy (Girl Behind The Lens). I paid for all my food/drinks/everything else apart from part of my travel expenses and part of my accommodation.