The Reality of Social Media


I’m so glad that this tiny note I scribbled has been by far the most shared thing of mine on here. 

We need to remove this false perception of ‘perfect lives’ that so many of us are comparing our own lives to. I’ll keep talking about this in the hope that each time I do it’ll slightly adjust one persons outlook on instagram or any other social media ‘thing’… because it’s not reality, it’s so far from reality that actually it’s a bit weird. In the same way that when I’ve had a bad day, and I’m walking down a busy street - I find a tiny bit of comfort in the fact that I know at least one of those people nearby is also having an equally bad or worse day/week than me - When I scroll through instagram I have in the back of my mind that that #throwbackthursday could in fact mean they’ve had a really shitty thursday this week and, well they’re not likely to post a photo of them crying so maybe that’s an easier coping mechanism. Or that ‘take me back’ photo means they really don’t want to be in the situation they’re currently in. This sounds like I’m fully analysing everybody’s photos, I’m not! I guess I’m just not taking every post I see literally and if I’m having a bad day I’m not scrolling through and thinking “bloody hell she looks happy, that’s not fair”. 

We can literally write and post what ever the hell we like and I’m sure the majority of us will have been guilty of posting something positive when we’re feeling like absolute shite… That’s kinda what social media is all about, and it's great most of the time. But isn’t when you look at the flip side of it; Health issues, Family issues, mental health, money issues… all of these things often happen to the best of us and the crap we go through and way we deal with it is what makes us human but I feel like social media adds fuel to the fire sometimes. It can create an instant bitterness, jealousy or opinion which your mind has literally just invented… because all you’re seeing is a few snapshots of a persons life, which, for all you know could be from a year ago. You don’t often know much about what’s happened in between, it’s private and not something that needs to be shared with the whole world.

So, next time you see somebody post about a new job or opportunity maybe first think how hard they may have been working “behind the scenes” to get to that point or next time you see someone traveling or on holiday, remember that that break or time spent in the sun could have saved their life. These are all pretty extreme but all very real that I know for a fact have happened to me or people I know. Don’t assume that even one of your closest friends smiling on an instagram photo means everything’s hunky dory (definitely don’t use that phrase enough). In a world where we should be so much more connected, we seem to sometimes be totally disconnected with each other.